Ok, I’ve done it! I’ve joined the growing ranks of African American women letting go of their chemical straighteners. Although my decision was based on the quest for a healthier scalp, I’ve really enjoyed the learning process I have undergone about what I was putting my hair through to keep it long and flowing. Not going to lie, I miss my long thick hair that seemed to grow and grow but I do not miss the painfully itchy dry scalp I experienced as the result. I would literally get sores of dry patches that begged for oils but using them would completely weigh my hair down.

Well fast forward to a year later and here I am all chopped off. As for my husband, he absolutely loves it! He’d much rather see my natural hair rather than the dry patches I would have along my hair line. He has been extremely encouraging through the whole process. I tried weave as one of my transition styles and he even helped me cut my weave out after only three days of itchy torture. Got to love that!


As for me…I’m still coming to terms with it. It’s just soooo short. I’m used to being the girl with all the hair. I’m not sure if I’m ready to see this much of my neck on a daily basis. LOL! I’ve tried to make the case of “what will my co-workers think” but honestly I’m the one with the inhibitions. You have to understand I used to ask my mom for a perm for Christmas as a child, cause EVERYONE in the ‘90’s had one! So I’ve decided tomorrow, Tuesday, is the day to expose the real me. I wonder how many “oooh, I like your hair” comments will I get? Or will I be running back to the safety of my Lace-Front wig? HA!

5 Comments

5 Responses so far.

  1. Tara says:

    You go girl!! It's truly amazing and wonderful that you are embracing this. I myself along with my older sister have been thinking and planning to do the same. I am happy to hear that your hubby is very supportative! My hubby to be is still not so excited about the idea but I think he will love it when the time comes. So I congratulate you, support you, and love you my friend :-)

  2. Unknown says:

    Nappy is happy!! I support you! It looks great!

  3. Viva Laverne says:

    I debuted it at work today and I've not gone ONE comment from my co-workers. LOL! Not a peep.

  4. Danette says:

    It is beautiful Kisha! I tired the natural for 6 months and though I liked it, I didn't want to cut my hair at the time and like you, I have thick hair. Well, I got a very mild relaxer and cut my hair in January and it took about a month, but I am LOVING my shorter hair. Now I don't have a problem with the dry scalp, but when I was natural, I used Carol's Daughter products and they made my thick hair very manageable.

  5. N.D'zigns says:

    Hey Lady! I'm sooo happy for you! I didn't know you were transitioning. There is a positive movement afoot, and I love it!! I had major hair and scalp issues also before I decided to cease relaxing. I had terrible dandruff, itchy/patchy scalp, breakage, excessive shedding...you name it. I transitioned appromixately 9 months before BC'ing on my birthday in December '09. My only regret is that I didn't do it sooner! Now I'm on a healthy, hair growth journey, and I'm loving practically every minute of it!! I still occasionally rock wigs, but I love to sport my curly fros, puffs, twist-outs, wash-n-go's, and hair accessories. Also, I'm a major YouTube junkie, and I've been able to learn so much about natural hair products, hair styles, detangling techniques, etc.

Post a Comment