Here we go again! A recent Nightline special entitled Face Off: Single Ladies focuses on the alarming rate of successful African American women who are not married. While it is great the media is discussing Black America it seems like they can’t help but focus on topics that are “thorns” in our side. I understand sex, drama, lies, scandals is what sells but are we sick of these types topic yet? Or, is it something that needs to be discussed?

One Viva Laverne follower, Regina a highly successful 30-something single women living in Washington, D.C., sounded off:

“I’m SICK OF THE SENTIMENT!!!!!! I don’t think we need to keep hearing this over and over and over again. I think it creates desperation and anxiety among those who haven’t taken the plunge. I for one, have accepted that it is what it is. Would I like to find the one…yes, would I like to date men on my level….yes, but I’m not going to lower my standards to do this. But there are so many women who do lower their standards just to say I have a man. I just think it’s sad that you have a bunch of single black women stressing over something they have no control of, I believe in my heart of hearts that if a man is interested in you then he will pursue you. It’s your job only to make yourself available and then let him be the man that he’s supposed to be. If black men aren’t pursuing black women, then we need to accept that they’re just not that in to us!!! So expand your options and include other colors under the rainbow!!!!”

So, what to you think? Are we ready to discuss solutions or just continue to talk about the problems? Or are we done talking about this topic all together?


photo credit: Essence.com

1 Comment

1 Response so far.

  1. Unknown says:

    I can talk about this topic all day. I was single and looking for what I considered "so long". In retrospect, it was just a couple of years. I was in the dating pool looking for a good fish and kept meeting nothing but guppies! I can definately relate to single women because it was not that long ago that I was one. But, I never accepted the statistics as determinative of my life. Those statistics also leave out that a large amount of women, as educated and great as they think they are...are not marriage material. Yes I said it! Don't compare yourself to other single women as if you are all in some type of competitive race! They don't have nothing on you. So, to you normal girls reading this article, be encouraged! Your season will come. If you are living a fulfilled, non-desparate and happy life, men will be attracted to you. Make sure to choose the right one, be available for the right one (all that is a discussion for another day) and stop stressing. If you do, it will happen. Most of my girlfriends are happily married. :o)

Post a Comment