I’m finding that there are quite a few ladies that are forgoing chemical strengtheners and embracing their natural hair. Reasons range from a quest for healthier hair to saving money. I chose to leave the relaxers alone because I was developing an extreme case of dry and itchy scalp that was more painful than uncomfortable. I started out taking a break and wound up embracing a new lifestyle. Learning to care for your natural hair can be quite frustrating but view it as a journey to a new you. There will be times you will feel like running back to the creamy crack but chalk it up because the end result is unbelievably freeing and rewarding. I did my Big Chop (cut off relaxed ends) after a year of transitioning. Here are a few things I learned along the way.

Transitioners: you are growing your relaxer out. Your hair has a distinct line where the natural hair meets the relaxed hair, the line of demarcation. This line is extremely fragile and should be treated as such.

Recommended care routine: get in the habit of adding moisture to your hair, when you do the big chop this will be essential. Skip the shampoo and wash your hair with conditioner about once a week, deep condition often and use a sulfate free shampoo once every two weeks.

Recommended styles: Any style that minimized combing is best since combing stresses the line of demarcation. Flexi-rod set, braids, twist, bun, and even a wash ‘n go if you have a medium curl pattern. After your new growth gets more than and inch or two long I wouldn’t recommend flat ironing in an effort to blend hair, you’ll find yourself doing it too often.

Products I relied on during my transition. These are not the same products I am currently using.


3 Comments

3 Responses so far.

  1. Unknown says:

    I will do it eventually. I really cannot wait to see my "real hair". I am not motivated to do it yet though. I think its because it sounds like something I have to be committed to and I am not ready to take it on and really be committed. I can see myself growing a couple of inches then punking out and getting a touch up. Until I can see myself following it through, I am sticking with creamy crack for just a lil while longer! However, I applaud all who do. You are my idols!!!

  2. This is great! I'm in the transition phase right now and it's pretty frustrating. Especially now that it's summer time and the humidity is like 100% The worse part is having half of our hair natural and the other relaxed. At the same time I'm trying to grow it longer so I don't want to just cut it off. So transition friendly hair is key right now. I love your blog girl, I told some of my friends about it.

  3. maisha says:

    VALUABLE INFORMATION! Speaking as a former creamy crack-addict, going natural is a drastic change that begins beneath the surface. You have to be sure of yourself on the inside before you decide to do the BC (Big Chop). However once you shed the relaxer, a liberating sensation will flood your being...

    Love your blog!

Post a Comment